Bronllys Hospital (also known as Pont-y-wal )569

Bronllys, Wales

Brief Description

The site at Bronllys hospital comprises a late-19th-century mansion and an early-20th-century purpose-built tuberculosis hospital with associated landscaping, set in earlier 18th- and 19th- century parkland. Late-19th-century grass terraces survive as well as some mature trees which may have been planted in the original 18th-century parkland.

History

The first recorded house on the site dates from 1759. The current mansion was built in the late-19th century and the parkland laid out at the same time, although there may be earlier parkland plantings. The site was sold to the Crown in the early-20th century and a tuberculosis hospital was built there.

Features
  • Hospital (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Chapel
  • Description: A chapel in the Arts and Crafts style designed by Edwin T and Stanley Hall.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Building
  • Description: The Basil Webb Hall was built as a recreation hall in the Arts and Crafts style. It was opened in 1920.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Building
  • Description: Pont-y-wal is a late-19th-century mansion situated at the north end of the site with views over the parkland to the Brecon Beacons.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Bronllys
Contact

Telephone

01443 336000

Official Website

Click Here
References

References