Search for the name, locality, period or a feature of a locality. You'll then be taken to a map showing results.

Llangoed Hall (also known as Llangoed Castle)

Introduction

Llangoed Hall was the first major architectural commission in the career of Sir Clough Williams-Ellis, worked around the core of an early-17th-century house. The structure of Williams-Ellis's garden also survives intact and includes paved terraces, a sunken lawn and a maze. The design for the garden and grounds incorporated existing 19th-century features such as tree planting and a ha-ha. Llangoed Hall has been a hotel since about 1990.

Visitor Access, Directions & Contacts
History

Period

  • 20th Century (1901 to 1932)
  • Early 20th Century (1901 to 1932)
Associated People
Features & Designations

Designations

  • CADW Register of Landscapes Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in Wales

  • Reference: PGW(Po)12(POW)
  • Grade: II
  • CADW Register of Listed Buildings in Wales

  • Reference: Cottage Workshop (Laundry)
  • Grade: II
  • CADW Register of Listed Buildings in Wales

  • Reference: Engine House
  • Grade: II
  • CADW Register of Listed Buildings in Wales

  • Reference: Laundry Wall
  • Grade: II
  • CADW Register of Listed Buildings in Wales

  • Reference: Stables
  • Grade: II

Features

  • Terrace
  • Description: Paved terraces.
  • Maze
  • Lawn
  • Description: Sunken lawn.
  • Ha-ha
Key Information

Type

Estate

Purpose

Ornamental

Principal Building

Commercial

Period

20th Century (1901 to 1932)

Survival

Extant

Open to the public

Yes

Civil Parish

Bronllys

References

References