Bromesberrow Place (also known as Bromsberrow Place, Hook Farm)6066

Lebury, England, Gloucestershire, Forest of Dean

Brief Description

The estate at Bromesberrow has extensive 18th-century parkland, some ornamental woodland and a small formal garden.

History

The house, originally known as Hook Farm, was rebuilt as Bromesberrow Place after 1760, when the Yate family were in possession. They sold the property to Joseph Pitt in 1811 and in 1817 it was bought by David Ricardo of Gatcombe Park. It remained in the family until 1897 when George Albright purchased the house. The Albrights owned Bromesberrow until the early-1990s.

Detailed Description

The north drive is over a mile long and has an alternating avenue. There is also a south drive. Nearer the house there is ornamental woodland with walks and a small formal garden with a fountain. The productive gardens include orchards and glasshouses, which are mostly located within the walled garden. There are four ponds, one of which has a boat house. The grounds are currently undergoing restoration (1997).
Features
  • Gate Lodge
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Stable
  • Description: Eighteenth-century stables and kitchen enlarged in the 19th century.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Mansion House (featured building)
  • Description: Built after 1760 by Fernando Stratford and completed by his son. A conservatory was added in about 1825.
  • Earliest Date:
Glasshouse, Orchard, Fountain, Boat House, Lake, Pond
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Bromesberrow
History

Period

  • 18th Century
Contact
References

References

Contributors

  • Gloucestershire Gardens & Landscape Trust