Brigstock Little Park (also known as Queen's Park)6682

Kettering, England, Northamptonshire, East Northamptonshire

Brief Description

This site is a former deer park and currently an agricultural landscape. There are surviving sections of the park boundary bank. The site includes Brake Hill Farmhouse, an early 18th-century house, with later alterations, that was probably originally a park lodge.

History

Brigstock Little Park was one of four medieval deer parks created north of Kettering within Rockingham Forest. It was emparked in the mid-14th century after Brigstock Great Park to the north, and covered an area of about 300 hectares. Between 1603 and 1612 the park was disafforested and enclosed for pasture.

Detailed Description

Due to the lack of agricultural activity during the medieval period there is a high survival factor of archaeological sites in the park. Finds include prehistoric flints as well as Roman, Saxon, medieval and post-medieval pot sherds and metal finds.
Features
  • Earthwork
  • Description: Part of the boundary bank of the park, with traces of internal ditch. The bank is up to 5 metres wide and 1.5 metres high.
  • Building
  • Description: A 17th-century lodge on the site of Little Park's medieval hunting lodge. There were possibly fishponds associated with this lodge.
  • Rabbit Warren
  • Description: A 1983 survey identified a possible medieval or later rabbit warren.
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Brigstock
History

Period

  • Medieval (1066-1540)
References

References