Cranford Hall 7101

Northamptonshire, England, Northamptonshire, Kettering

Brief Description

Cranford Hall is an early-18th-century mansion set in landscape parkland through which runs the river Cran. A pleasure garden of around one hectare lies east of the house. A 15th-century circular dovecote stands to the west of the mansion with 18th-century stables to the east. There is a walled kitchen garden and an 18th-century road bridge over the small river Cran. A foot bridge in the parkland is known locally as the Jubilee bridge.

History

Cranford Hall is said to have come before 1676 into the possession of a family named Coo, who were lords of the manor of Cranford St John, and sold by Coo to Sir James Robinson in 1715. The mansion house was erected in the early-18th century and was divided into apartments in 1950. The parish was partly enclosed before an Act of Parliament in 1775 enclosed the remaining land. The parkland was probably established on the earlier enclosed land. The estate is still held by the Robinson family.

Terrain

Undulating
Features

Style

  • English Landscape Garden
  • Dovecote
  • Description: The dovecote is within the curtilage of the 18th-century Dairy farmhouse. It is circular in plan and built of coursed limestone rubble, with a scattering of ironstone, with conical Colyweston stone state roof and octagonal lead-capped louvre. It has a board door with wooden lintel to the north, and small rectangular openings to the east and at a higher level to the north. The interior is believed to contain 16 rows of nesting boxes (440 in all) and potence pole, gallows and ladder complete.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Kitchen Garden
  • Description: Victorian walled kitchen garden lying east of stable block, divided into four quadrants on 1st Ed. OS map 1885 with glasshouses and frames.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • River
  • Description: The River Cran runs through parkland south of the mansion.
  • Stable Block
  • Description: Probably constructed in the 18th century, altered in the 19th century, of coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressing, collyweston stone slate roof.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Ornamental Bridge
  • Description: Bridge constructed of coursed rubble limestone and ashlar. Upstream has semicircular arch plus small square opening, downstream has two semicircular arches. Prominent curved string and similar parapet.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Country House (featured building)
  • Description: Early Georgian hall with late-18th-century porticos added.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Access & Directions

Directions

Off the A14. Five miles east of Kettering.
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Cranford
History

Period

  • 18th Century
Contact

Telephone

01793 445050

Official Website

Click Here

Owners

    References

    References

    Contributors

    • Rod Conlon

      1