Bramall Hall, Stockport 508

Bramhall, Stockport, England, Greater Manchester

Brief Description

Bramall Hall has a 19th-century parkland with two lakes. Other features include woodland and ornamental gardens. The site was taken over by local government in the 1930s and the hall is now a museum. The hall has gardens to the rear and possibly also an orchard. There is parkland and associated blocks of woodland, particularly Carr Wood to the south-east. The parkland is now a golf course. The estate has been affected by 20th-century housing developments.

History

Bramall Hall has a hall, grounds and parkland, which was originally a deer park shown on Burdett's map of Cheshire, 1777. The parkland dates to the 19th century although the site is much older. Bramhall Urban District Council took over the site in 1935. After local government organisation the estate became the responsibility of Stockport Council in 1974.

Visitor Facilities

www.bramallhall.org.uk/BH_visitor_info.asp
Features
  • Hall (featured building)
  • Description: The hall, which has been described as one of the best timber-framed halls in England, dates from the 16th century, although there have been many later, particularly 19th-century additions. The hall was threatened with demolition and removal to America in the 1920s when it stood empty. It is now in local authority ownership.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Lake, Orchard
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

www.bramallhall.org.uk/BH_visitor_info.asp
References

References

Contributors

  • Cheshire Gardens Trust

  • Greater Manchester Archaeological Unit