Braintree and Bocking Public Gardens 6980

Braintree, England, Essex, Braintree

Brief Description

The gardens feature a wild garden, a pond, war memorial, laurel walk and a bandstand. There is also an area known as the John Ray Garden, which was opened by David Bellamy in 1986.

History

In 1888, the Public Gardens were opened, having been donated to the town by Sydney and Sarah Courtauld. The area had previously been the gardens of their home, Bocking Place. Bocking Place became the Braintree Intermediate School, the first of its kind in Essex. The celebrations to mark the Gardens' opening were said to rival those to celebrate Queen Victoria's Jubilee the year before.

Visitor Facilities

This is a municipal site, open daily from 9 am to dusk.
Features
  • Planting
  • Description: In 1986, on the tricentenary of the publication of his 'The History Of Plants', The John Ray Society, helped by the famous naturalist Dr. David Bellamy, opened the John Ray Garden. This tribute to 'The Father of British Botany' is a peaceful spot in which to stroll and sit.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Pond
  • Description: Lower garden pond.
  • Tree Feature
  • Description: The gardens contain over 250 trees, including specimens of special interest.
  • Planting
  • Description: The wild garden.
  • Pool
  • Description: Lily pool.
  • Walk
  • Description: Laurel walk.
Bandstand
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

This is a municipal site, open daily from 9 am to dusk.
Associated People

Just one person associated to Braintree and Bocking Public Gardens

Contact

Official Website

Click Here

Other websites

Owners

  • Braintree District Council

    Causeway House, Bocking End, Braintree, CM7 9HB.