Brabins Hall (also known as Brabyns Park)6293

Stockport, Greater Manchester, England, Greater Manchester

Brief Description

Brabins Hall had a house with grounds and a small park. It was an irregularly-shaped site, with the house in a roughly central position. St Martin's Church and school were built to the south-eastern end of the site. There were productive gardens to the north-east and a lake with path system close to the house. The Manchester to Sheffield line passes close to the house and probably sliced the original site into two separate sections. The belt of woodland, lake and boundary planting to the west of the line probably belongs to the site. Although the house has gone, the site survives in part as open land owned by the local authority.

History

The hall was stone-built and was erected about 1740 by Henry Brabin Esq, a physician of Stockport. The estate later belonged to the Wright family.

Visitor Facilities

This is a municipal site for general public use. Please see: http://www.stockport.gov.uk/content/leisureculture/parksrecreation/newsandcompetitions/brabynsparkbridge?a=5441
Features
  • Hall (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

This is a municipal site for general public use. Please see: http://www.stockport.gov.uk/content/leisureculture/parksrecreation/newsandcompetitions/brabynsparkbridge?a=5441
References

References

Contributors

  • Cheshire Gardens Trust

  • Greater Manchester Archaeological Unit