There has been a house on the site since the 15th century. The park is surrounded by fields on all sides and hence is approached by a long drive across the fields. The site is currently (2008) a golf course with the house functioning as the club house.
The hall lies to the west of the grounds and faces a small park to the north east. In 1848 an oblong piece of water lay to the south west and a formal garden was created to the south east. The hall and grounds were altered again in 1895 when the formal layout was replaced by a more naturalistic design.
- Visitor Access, Directions & Contacts
There has been a house on the site since the 15th century but the earliest parts of the current building date from the 16th and 17th centuries. A sundial marks the changes to the house made by Alexander Barlow in 1574. Edward Barlow, now known as Saint Ambrose Barlow, was born in the house in 1585. He was hung, drawn and quartered at Lancaster in 1641 and his skull is believed to be preserved at Wardley Hall.
Further changes to the house and grounds were made in 1848 and 1895. The hall is now used as a golf club house with a 40-hectare golf course in the former parkland.
- Features & Designations
- Domestic/residential (featured building)
- Earliest Date:
- Latest Date:
- Key Information
- University of Manchester and University of York, 1994 A Survey of Historic Parks and Gardens in Greater Manchester