Bailiffscourt (also known as The Bailiffscourt Hotel & Health Spa, Manor of Atherington)5306

Littlehampton, England, West Sussex, Arun

Brief Description

Between 1927 and 1932 Lord and Lady Moyne created a new park at Baliffscourt. 1500 trees were planted, mostly oak and ash from Slindon, Madehurst and Arundel, to form belts of woodland both within the park and elsewhere on the estate. A new drive to the house was laid out from the north-west, crossing the moat through the re-erected gatehouse. The site is now a spa resort hotel.

History

Bailiffscourt owes its origin and its name to a monastic foundation established by the Abbey of Seez in Normandy in 1082. It was granted free warren on its demesne at Atherington in 1272.

Detailed Description

Between 1927 and 1932 Lord and Lady Moyne created a new park at Baliffscourt extending northwards from the house and west and east along the coast. 1500 trees were planted, mostly oak and ash from Slindon, Madehurst and Arundel, to form belts of woodland both within the park and elsewhere on the estate. A new drive to the house was laid out from the north-west, crossing the moat through the re-erected gatehouse. A five mile route around the estate was known as Lady Moyne's walk .

The manor house, in medieval style, dates from 1935, along with two other medieval buildings dismantled and re-erected on the site. These were built by Lord Moyne around 1932. His architect was Amyas Phillips. Original details were imported piecemeal from various parts of the country. Nairn and Pevsner consider the finished product to be ‘superb' and completely satisfactory. Lord Moyne was assassinated in November 1944 by members of a Zionist extremist organisation. The site is now a hotel.

Whilst the gardens at Baliffscourt are simple, all care should be taken of this valuable and ancient site.

Features
  • House (featured building)
  • Description: The manor house, in medieval style, dates from 1935, along with two other medieval buildings dismantled and re-erected on the site.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Moat
  • Description: A roughly rectangular moat surrounded the old house and its outbuildings, the south-eastern section holding water in 1992.
  • Dovecote
  • Description: The octagonal flint and brick dovecot apparently dates from 1816.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Chapel
  • Description: The chapel was carefully restored in the 1930s.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Tree Belt
  • Description: 1500 trees were planted, mostly oak and ash from Slindon, Madehurst and Arundel, to form belts of woodland both within the park and elsewhere on the estate.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Gatehouse
  • Description: Re-erected gatehouse.
  • Walk
  • Description: A five mile route around the estate was known as Lady Moyne?s walk .
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Drive
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Climping
History

Detailed History

Bailiffscourt owes its origin and its name to a monastic foundation established by the Abbey of Seez in Normandy in 1082. It was granted free warren on its demesne at Atherington in 1272. There was a deer park, the site being indicated by the field names in 1606. A warren of 13 acres lay north of the house by this date but was known to exist in 1664. The monk who lived at the grange at this site was known as the bailiff of Atherington, giving the name to the site in later years. Only the chapel, a late-13th-century building, dates from this time.

At the Dissolution, the Manor passed to the Crown. From 1532 it was leased to members of the Baldwin or Edmunds family. In 1599 the Crown had passed the manor to Sir John Spencer and thence it passed through various ownerships, including that of William Cutfield in 1835, when the site was known as Bailies Court. In 1927 the estate of 750 acres was purchased by Walter Guinness, later Lord Moyne. The estate grew to 1000 acres under his ownership until it was sold by his daughter and her husband in 1974. Lord Moyne demolished the old house after 1927.

A roughly rectangular moat surrounded the old house and its outbuildings, the south-eastern section holding water in 1992. The house stood in the western part of the enclosure. The octagonal flint and brick dovecot apparently dates from 1816. The chapel was carefully restored.

Period

  • Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
Contact

Telephone

01793 445050

Official Website

Other websites

Owners

  • Sportbreak Ltd,

    Coltsford Mill, Mill Lane, Oxted, Surrey,, RH8 9DG
References

References