Hotham Park (also known as Berstead Lodge, Aldwick Manor)5318

Bognor Regis, England, West Sussex, Arun

Brief Description

This is a municipal park in the town centre of Bognor Regis. It has been recently restored.

History

Hotham Park was built by Sir Richard Hotham, founder of Bognor extended village. In 1947, the estate was bought by Arun District Council as a amenity park for the people of Bognor.

Visitor Facilities

This is a municipal site for general public use. Please see: http://www.arun.gov.uk/cgi-bin/buildpage.pl?mysql=4599#Hotham

Detailed Description

In 1969 the following planting was recorded: Parrotia persica, large Quercus ilex,magnolias, Cercidiphyllum japonicum, flowering cherries, camellias, gleditsia, Liriodendron tuliperas, Paulownia imperialis. It formerly held the National Council for the Conservation of Plants and Gardens' lathyrus collection. The collection was transferred to a private garden in May 2005.

It is understood that Arun District Council feels that there is no need to protect such sites as those already owned by the local authority, but if a comprehensive list is to be compiled of important sites in the District, Hotham Park should be included.

Further information is undoubtedly available in the Arun District Council archives and this report can be updated accordingly when such information is forthcoming.

Features
  • House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Planting
  • Description: The Winter Garden.
  • Planting
  • Description: The Italian Garden.
  • Tower
  • Description: Clock tower.
Boating Lake, Ornamental Pond, Gate Lodge
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

This is a municipal site for general public use. Please see: http://www.arun.gov.uk/cgi-bin/buildpage.pl?mysql=4599#Hotham
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Bognor Regis
History

Detailed History

Hotham Park was originally known as Bersted Lodge (Ordnance Survey 1st edition 1879 map) and was built by Sir Richard Hotham, founder of Bognor extended village. In 1784 Sir Richard conceived the idea of making Bognor a fashionable village and to this end in 1786 he purchased various properties in the area covering 88 acres in all at a cost of £2,725, including Bersted Lodge which belonged to Mrs Smith. The estate was later owned by Mr W H B Fletcher until 1947 when it was bought by Arun District Council as a amenity park for the people of Bognor (it was called Aldwick Manor).

It was noted in local press articles that a Mr Powell had been the gardener there for 40 years and that there was much to see horticulturally. A 1950s guide describes a stately Georgian mansion, with lawns, woodland glades and lake. The house is now in private ownership and is divided into apartments.

Contact

Telephone

01793 445050

Official Website

Click Here

Other websites

Owners

  • Arun District Council

    Arun Civic Centre, Maltravers Road, Littlehampton, West Sussex, BN17 5LF
References

References

Contributors

  • Sussex Gardens Trust