A public park on a triangular site in the centre of Avonmouth Village.
Laid out in 1905 as part of the development of Avonmouth village
Avonmouth Park is a public park laid out in 1905 as part of the development of Avonmouth Village. It was to provide housing and services for the workers and other residents and users (e.g. the seamen etc.) of the Avonmouth Docks.
The land for the park was the gift of Napier Miles of Kingsweston House and was originally intended for a cemetery. However the land was unsuitable for this purpose owing to a high water table.
(Ref: Down the Mouth: A History of Avonmouth: Ethel Thomas: Ethel Thomas 1977)
The park, which is in the ownership of Bristol City Council, is at the centre of the village on a prominent triangular site between Avonmouth Road and St Andrew's Road. It is close to the main Gloucester Road Dock Gate and to the railway station on Gloucester Road.
The original path layout and the basic structure of shrub and tree planting of the Park is intact, with modifications. The original railings have been replaced as has the original bandstand, replaced by a children's play area. The park is well used and is clearly important as a focus of Avonmouth Village. Together with the later Canford Park in Westbury on Trym it is also the only example of a formal Public Park in north west Bristol. Local listing of Avonmouth Park recognises these considerations.
- Access & Directions
Situated in Avonmouth Village
- Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
- Associated People