Search for the name, locality, period or a feature of a locality. You'll then be taken to a map showing results.

Avebury Manor

Introduction

This site has the garden of a 16th-century manor house, comprised of a series of rectangular walled areas arranged randomly around the manor house. It included large formal walled orchards. The basic structure remains, maintained relatively simply by the National Trust, and is not in a period style.

There are five walled areas arranged round the house to the east, south and west. A wall separates the house and garden from the open land to the north. The layout is as in the 1695 plan. To the east of the house between it and the farm buildings there is a couryard. This is grassed with shrubs on the outside. The is a straignt path lined with a lavender hedge from the garden entrance to the house. The area has three large trees. The walled area in the south eastern corner between house and churchyard is labelled Shaw Barton in the original plan. It is now divided into two parts, the upper with a formal structure and the lower as a more open meadow.

The area between the south front of the house and the road is now a single space. The former flower beds in front of the house and the dividing hedge have been removed. It is grassed with trees and a rather nondescript shrubbery. In the south-west corner the former large formal orchard now has a terrace at its northern end. There is a curved wall at the north end of this area. This area is grassed with some planting round the walls. Immediately to the west of the house there is now a formal knot garden.

The walls and spaces retain the essential structure of the 17th-century garden. The planting does not.

Sir Richard Holford's letter to Farmer Skeate who cared for the garden is mainly concerned with the management of the trees and additional planting.

Visitor Access, Directions & Contacts

Telephone

01672 538016

Directions

Off the High Street west of the church in Avebury Village. National Trust car park is to the south of village and a footpath leads through to the High Street with the Stone Circle to the east and the Manor to the west.

Owners

National Trust

History

A priory was established on the site of Avebury Manor in the 12th century. It finally came into lay ownership in 1547. Its history after that was of rather unusual continuity of ownership. It was owned by the Dunche family for 90 years. They probably established the garden. After varying fortunes during the civil war it was bought in 1692 and then owned by various members and descendants of the same family until 1873. From then until its purchase by the National Trust it had several owners.

Period

Tudor (1485-1603)

Features & Designations

Designations

  • The National Heritage List for England: Listed Building

  • Grade: II
  • The National Heritage List for England: Listed Building

  • Reference: Avebury Manor
  • Grade: I
  • The National Heritage List for England: Listed Building

  • Reference: Dovecot
  • Grade: II*
  • The National Heritage List for England: Listed Building

  • Reference: Garden Gate
  • Grade: II

Style

Jacobean-Style Garden

Features

  • Manor House (featured building)
  • Description: The priory came into lay ownership in 1547. The manor house dates from the 16th century.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Topiary
  • Orchard
Key Information

Type

Garden

Purpose

Ornamental

Principal Building

Heritage Site

Period

Tudor (1485-1603)

Survival

Extant

Hectares

1

Open to the public

Yes

Civil Parish

Avebury

References

References

Contributors

  • M McNicol