Yockenthwaite Farm 6668

Yorkshire Dales, England, North Yorkshire, Craven

Brief Description

The present gardens lie mainly to the south and east of the house. The front garden has a low wall with a 19th-century cast iron railing. The gate also dates from the 19th century but may be a re-use of 18th-century wrought iron work. The garden to the east lies over 850 feet above sea level, is walled, and appears to have been designed as the ornamental pleasure garden of the 18th-century house.

History

In its present form the house was probably built by James Tennant (1692-1769) whose family had played an important part in the development of Yockenthwaite.

Detailed Description

The present gardens lie mainly to the south and east of the house. The front garden has a low wall with a 19th century cast iron railing. The gate also dates from the 19th century but may be a re-use of 18th-century wrought iron work. The garden to the east lies over 850 feet above sea level, is walled, and appears to have been designed as the ornamental pleasure garden of the 18th-century house. In its northern wall is a round-headed alcove, plastered inside. Within is a door on its western side leading to a two-seater privy outside the garden but having a window looking in to it. This south-facing alcove would provide a sheltered seating area with fine views across the valley. The vegetable garden was to the north-west of the farmhouse behind the 1681 building.

The Tennant family appear in the 18th century to have had aspirations to gentry status as is shown in the design and interior fittings of the farmhouse. The last Tennant to live at Yockenthwaite was Jeffrey, born in 1759, who had a carriage drive constructed from the farmhouse up to a stone circle higher up the River Wharfe. Traces of this drive are still visible on the footpath which runs on the north bank of the Wharfe between Yockenthwaite and Deepdale.

Features
  • House (featured building)
  • Description: This is a double pile Georgian farm, which is a re-building of an earlier house.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Alcove
  • Description: In the northern wall is a round-headed alcove, plastered inside. Within is a door on its western side leading to a two-seater privy outside the garden but having a window looking in to it. This south-facing alcove would provide a sheltered seating area with fine views across the valley.
  • Wall
  • Description: The front garden has a low wall with a 19th-century cast iron railing.
  • Railings
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Gate
  • Description: The gate also dates from the 19th century but may be a re-use of 18th-century wrought iron work.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Drive
  • Description: Jeffrey Tennant, born in 1759, had a carriage drive constructed from the farmhouse up to a stone circle higher up the River Wharfe. Traces of this drive are still visible on the footpath which runs on the north bank of the Wharfe between Yockenthwaite and Deepdale.
  • Earliest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Buckden
History

Detailed History

The farmhouse, with a south-south-west aspect, is in the hamlet of Yockenthwaite in a prominent position on a terrace on the north-eastern bank of the River Wharfe. In its present form it was probably built by James Tennant (1692-1769) whose family had played an important part in the development of Yockenthwaite. A smaller building to the west with a date stone inscribed IT 1681 presumably refers to his father, Jeffrey Tennant, who died in 1728. This building may be the earlier farmhouse.
Contact

Telephone

0844 800 1895

Official Website

Owners

  • The National Trust

    Heelis, Kemble Drive, Swindon, SN2 2NA
References

Contributors

  • Yorkshire Gardens Trust