Yatton Court is a house of about 1780 on a older site. The house overlooks a park created in the second half of the 18th century, with a bridge over a lake. There is a kitchen garden. The layout replaced a formal garden, with some of the older planting included in the new design.
The park was formed in the later 18th century, overlaid on an earlier formal design. The house of about 1780 replaced an earlier half-timbered structure.
Kitchen Garden, Gate Lodge, Ornamental Bridge
- Access & Directions
DirectionsSix miles north-west of Leominster via the A44 and the A4110.
In about 1780 John Woodhouse rebuilt the house at Yatton Court, a brick classical house replacing the older half-timbered building.
Before this improvements had begun in the grounds. The older garden of formal enclosures and regular planting was replaced by an extensive landscape park. A lake was formed by damming local watercourses and an ornamental bridge constructed to carry the main road across it. When this was washed away in the flood of 1795, a new two-arched bridge was built to replace it.
Ornamental groves of trees were planted in the park, and a new kitchen garden was laid out.
Some planting from the earlier layout, such as avenues and rows of holly and yew, were retained in the new scheme.
Some of the planting for the new design was supplied by the London nurseryman David Lewis.
- Late 18th Century
- 18th Century
- Associated People