Woodbank Park (also known as Woodbank Memorial Park)6352

Stockport, Greater Manchester, England, Greater Manchester

Brief Description

Woodbank Park is a public park and sports ground bounded by the River Goyt to the north and east and adjoining Vernon Park to the west. High density housing lies to the south. Further acquisitions of land have brought the total area of the park to 58 hectares.

History

The house was built by Peter Marsland, a cotton manufacturer, between 1812 and 1814 on the site of a timber-framed farmstead. The architect was Thomas Harrison of Chester. The estate remained in private ownership until 1921 when it was purchased by Sir Thomas Rowbotham. He gave the hall and 89 acres to the town as a memorial to those who had been killed during World War 1. Rowbotham gave a further £2,000 towards the refurbishment of the hall which had fallen into disrepair. The hall was then reopened to the public in 1931 as a museum, reading room, lecture room and cafe. These facilities were closed in 1948 and only the cafe now remains open. In 1953 a new range of glasshouses was built to replace those at Vernon Park. There are three large glacial boulder stones in the park.

Visitor Facilities

This is a municipal site for general public use. Please see: http://www.stockport.gov.uk/content/leisureculture/parksrecreation/parks/woodbankpark/
Features
  • House (featured building)
  • Description: The house was built by Peter Marsland, a cotton manufacturer, between 1812 and 1814 on the site of a timber-framed farmstead. The architect was Thomas Harrison of Chester.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Glasshouse
  • Description: In 1953 a new range of glasshouses was built to replace those at Vernon Park.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

This is a municipal site for general public use. Please see: http://www.stockport.gov.uk/content/leisureculture/parksrecreation/parks/woodbankpark/
History

Period

  • Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
References

References

Contributors

  • Cheshire Gardens Trust

  • Greater Manchester Archaeological Unit