Wicken Park 6715

Buckingham, England, Northamptonshire, South Northamptonshire

Brief Description

The site of the medieval deer park is now an agricultural landscape of field and copses. There is also an early 18th-century country house now used as a school.

History

At some time between 1281 and 1292 John Fitzalen (or Fitzalery) was granted licence to re-inclose his park. It was disafforested in 1639 and disparked in around 1651. Field names such as Park Meadow on 18th-century maps indicate the extent of the park. Wicken Park, formerly one of the lodges of Whittlewood Forest, was sold in 1716 and subsequently enlarged. In 1944 the estate was sold and became a school.

Features
  • Earthwork
  • Description: Large banks around existing woodland, which may relate to medieval park boundaries, especially in Park Copse.
  • Country House (featured building)
  • Description: An early 18th-century house with possible 16th-century origins. It was altered and enlarged in the 18th and 19th centuries. An associated Tudor Lodge was converted to stables in the 18th century and part of it is now the school gymnasium.
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Wicken
History

Period

  • Medieval
Contact

Telephone

01793 445050

Official Website

Click Here

Other websites

References

References