Search for the name, locality, period or a feature of a locality. You'll then be taken to a map showing results.

Vivary Park

Vivary Park is close to Taunton town centre and covers 7.5 hectares of parkland. In medieval times the site was the fish farm or vivarium for the priory and castle. There are no visible remains of the lakes now, but this ancient use lives on in the park's name 'Vivary'. The public park came about because it’s so close to the centre of the town. The land had been used as for public events since at least 1851 when the first Taunton Flower Show was held there. It was sold to the council in 1894 and a year later it was laid out. The front gates, bandstand and one shelter date from this time. In 1902 an oak tree was planted close to the bandstand to mark the coronation of Edward VII. With money left over from the celebrations, the fountain was commissioned as a memorial to the late Queen Victoria. It was unveiled in 1907. The park originally formed a part of the open setting to Wilton house. The park was extended to include part of the garden of Wilton House in 1924. Vivary Park is a good surviving example of a late Victorian public park. The park is well used and is maintained by our staff with great support and help from the Friends of Vivary Park. The volunteers do a great job in supporting the day to day work, special events and annual favourites. The park closes at dusk every day.
Visitor Access, Directions & Contacts


The main entrance is via Upper High Street, the southern entrance via Mount Street and the western entrance is by way of the wooden bridge from Wilton Lands.

Features & Designations


    Key Information

    Open to the public