Town Walk, Shaftesbury (also known as Park Hill)3879

Shaftesbury, England, Dorset, North Dorset

Brief Description

This is a typical 18th century town amenity given by Robert Dyneley to the town in 1753.

Visitor Facilities

This is a municipal site for general public use.
Features
  • Bandstand
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Sculpture
  • Description: War memorial.
  • Flower Bed
  • Description: Coronation extension and flowerbed.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

This is a municipal site for general public use.
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Shaftesbury
History

Detailed History

This is a typical 18th century town amenity. It was given to the town by Robert Dyneley in 1753. It is illustrated in Upjohn's 1799 map of Shaftesbury as having an avenue of trees commanding the important view southwards.

In 1827 there were references to a 'broad walk or terraces lined with trees'. There were also plans for imminent extension around to the west and north, including the Castle site and Bimport. This was part of Dyneley's original vision, but never materialised.

Later developments include a bandstand (1866), Coronation extension and flowerbed (1953) and a war memorial. The Pine Walk and Stony Path are in need of further investigation.

References

References

Contributors

  • William Gueterbock

    1

  • Dorset Gardens Trust