Search for the name, locality, period or a feature of a locality. You'll then be taken to a map showing results.

Tavistock Old Cemetery (also known as Tavistock Victorian Cemetery, Dolvin Road cemetery)


The cemetery was in use between 1834 and 1882, initially for non-conformist burial, but later for all denominations. It was replaced by the New Cemetery on Plymouth Road.

Within Dolvin Road Cemetery are buried some 3,200 non-conformists and 3,500 from the established church, including 17 cholera victims. Dolvin Road cemetery remained open for burials until 1883, with occasional ones since then in family vaults or plots.

Visitor Access, Directions & Contacts

17th - 19th Century

Between 1614 and 1845 some 22,000 persons had been buried in the Tavistock parish churchyard and around the 1830s concerns were being expressed that the yard was full and creating potential health problems with body parts becoming visible and an unsavoury odour surrounding the yard.

In early days non-conformists could not be buried in the parish churchyard without the permission of the vicar.

Between 1834 and 1845, the Duke of Bedford gave four adjoining pieces of land along Dolvin Road as an alternative space for burials within the town. The first in 1834, at the south-western end was for the use of Non-conformists. The second in 1835 was for the Society of Friends (Quakers), who built a Meeting House there – later closed and demolished in 1877.

The third part of the land was given to the Parish Church and consecrated in 1845.

The Non-conformists were given the fourth piece of land, at the north-eastern end.


Victorian (1837-1901)

Key Information





Principal Building



Victorian (1837-1901)


Part: standing remains

Civil Parish




  • Pevsner, N {The Buildings of England: Devon} (Harmondsworth: Penguin, 1952)