Swythamley Park 3202

Congleton, England, Staffordshire, Staffordshire Moorlands

Brief Description

There are extensive pleasure grounds to the north-east and south-west of the house. There is a stream, dammed to make a lake with a weir to the south-east. The parkland is good and well maintained, with sympathetic new tree planting. A substantial stone wall surrounds the property, which also has good lodges.

History

The site was originally a grange of Dieulacres Abbey, in the early-13th century. It was leased to William Trafford in 1540 and remained in the same family until it was purchased by John Brocklehurst in 1831.

Detailed Description

There are extensive pleasure grounds to the north-east and south-west of the house. To the south-east, a stream has been dammed to make a weir. There is good parkland, which is well-maintained, with sympathetic new tree planting. A substantial stone wall surrounds the property, with good lodges.
Features
  • House (featured building)
  • Description: The hall dates from the early-19th century, but is on the foundations of a medieval hunting lodge. There were enlargements around 1879 for Philip Brocklehurst.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Boundary Wall
  • Description: A substantial stone wall surrounds the property.
  • Chapel
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Chapel
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Stream, Lake, Gate Lodge, Stable Block
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Heaton
History

Detailed History

The park was extended in 1831 and again in 1860. A formal garden is shown south of the house on a map of 1809, but had disappeared by 1880. By 1880, a walled garden with greenhouse had been made. This has since been replaced by tennis courts.
Contact

Telephone

01793 445050

Official Website

Click Here

Owners

    References

    References