Summerhill Park 3181

Bath, England

Brief Description

Summerhill Park is a small estate originally laid out in the mid-18th century. The site is now owned by Kingswood School.

History

The small estate around what came to be known as Summerhill was laid out probably in the mid-18th century. The park was extended around 1808, and again around 1868.

Detailed Description

Summerhill Park consists mainly of open grassland, dotted with some fine mature specimen trees. Some smaller areas of the park are still kept as shrubberies. The park can be entered from the north-east or from the south-east. Both entrances are flanked by small avenues of mature trees. A conspicuous feature of the park is the isolated terrace and balustrading of the old house, which stands in the centre of the park. There are fine views to the south and west. A large and elaborate kitchen garden stands to the north of the terrace. The kitchen garden is still cultivated.

The Summerhill Park estate is now left in a fragmentary condition. Parts of it are well-maintained. The remaining areas of the park are maintained by Kingswood School.

Features
  • House (featured building)
  • Description: The house was brought stone by stone from Chippenham in 1917. It was probably designed by John Wood the Elder. It is now a separate occupancy.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Terrace
  • Description: Commanding impressive views over Summerhill Park and much of the City of Bath, the terrace and balustrading of the old house have been retained as a garden feature. Some of the balustrading is now collapsed. There is a picture of the old house in the Bath and County Graphic (January 1898).
  • Kitchen Garden
  • Description: This large kitchen garden, with elaborate walls and gateways, is still in cultivation.
  • Gate
  • Description: There is a pair of heavy iron ornamental gates between latticework iron piers with anthemion motifs and small urn finials. This was originally the main entrance to Summerhill Park.
History

Detailed History

The small estate around what came to be known as Summerhill was laid out probably in the mid-18th century. It was bought early in the 19th century by Dr. Caleb Hillier Parry, comprising at that time about 11 acres of land. He had the house enlarged around 1808, and added land to the estate, which then amounted to some 30 acres. One of his sons was the famous navigator, E. Parry.

The house and estate were bought in 1868 by R.S. Blaine, and further enlarged. He died in 1898. The estate was then purchased by the Cook family, and remained in their hands until 1956. The old house was demolished in the early-20th century, and was replaced by a building brought stone by stone from Chippenham High Street. This building was erected on the western end of the buildings of Sion Hill Place in 1917.

Some 30 acres of the estate were purchased by Kingswood School in 1956. Since then, there have been repeated efforts to build on parts of the land as Bath has expanded.

Associated People

Just one person associated to Summerhill Park

Contact
References

References

Contributors

  • E.T. Thacker

    1

  • Avon Gardens Trust