Bishop Park 4484

Oldham, England, Greater Manchester

Brief Description

Bishop Park occupies about 50 hectares on an exposed site which provides extensive views of Oldham, Shaw, Denshaw, Delph and the surrounding hills. An obelisk commemorates the family which gave the land for the park.

History

The park was created on land that included farms, a coal pit and a quarry.

Visitor Facilities

0161 621 3313

Detailed Description

The park was developed in 1927 on a site which had included a number of farms, a coal pit and a quarry. All these features have now either vanished or have been absorbed into the layout of the park. The source of the River Medlock is within the park and the obelisk is on Wotherhead Hill.

The obelisk, or monument, is situated at 1,233 feet (about 375 metres) and marks the highest point in Oldham. It was erected to commemorate the local family who gave the land to the borough.

Features
Obelisk
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

0161 621 3313

Directions

The park is situated at the top of Grains Bar at the junction of the Halifax Road and Ship Lane.
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Saddleworth
History

Period

  • Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
References

References