The medieval park estate is now fragmented as are the areas of woodland remaining within the Park. Now only the designated ‘ancient semi natural woodland’ remain to the south of the settlement. The extensive landscaped grounds, mature woodlands, boundary walls and gate lodges are prominent in the streetscape, that significantly influence the character of the Conservation Area of East End. The recently renovated mansion is dramatic in its setting in wide lawns and parkland.
The property at STARGROVE, designated a manor in the 16th century, was probably represented by the land held by John Stargrove in 1428. On Taylor’s map of 1759 the house is indicated as a substantial manor, accessed from the west. In the early 1840s the house was destroyed by fire, and a new manor house was constructed sometime after 1848, and bought by a Captain Ramsay. In 1879, the house and 850 acres was sold to Co. (Sir) Frederick Walter Carden, who made further additions to the new mansion, creating the form of today's park, including the lake.
Stargrove House is a a Grade II listed building; Its ornate, chateau-like appearance is very characteristic of mid-Victorian fashion. The single-storey entrance lodge and gate piers to the main house, are significant focal points in views westwards, and place the house clearly in the context of the hamlet. The house is approached from the hamlet of East End, through informal deciduous woodland to to the east front that overlooks a large lawn.
The mansion is set on a wide grass terrace. Mature trees frame the view to the west across the lawns down to the lake with its island and to the woods beyond. North of the west lawn, is a parterre garden with paths leading into the orchard. In the 1872 sale documents the kitchen garden and orchard was described as being enclosed by a 200 year old yew hedge. The fishpond is described in the sale documents but doesn't appear on the OS maps until 1910. Stargrove Manor and its associated farm buildings, lie within the East End designated Historic Rural Settlement, and In 1992 the East End and North End Conservation Areas were designated by Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council in recognition of the special architectural and historic interest of the hamlets. Stargrove lies within the Conservation area and within the AONB.
There is evidence of a significant medieval presence within the parish. The Estate is associated with Oliver Cromwell. More recently Stargrove has been the home of internationally known ‘Rock Stars' and a venue for TV Dramas. The estate has a important place in the context of the Conservation Area of the East End hamlet.
Landscape Planning Status :
EAST END CONSERVATION AREA
AREA OF ARCHAEOLGICAL POTENTIAL
TPO etc No
Research: EM Consultants for Basingstoke & Deane: August 2009
Detailed description contributed by Hampshire Gardens Trust 13/04/2015
- East Woodhay
At the time of the Domesday Survey the manor of East Woodhay was the property of the See of Winchester and confirmed by Edward I in 1284. In 1428, Thomas Byflete, John Herries, John Sterregrave and Edmund Lynche, Nicholas Jurdan and John atte Sele, each held a separate part of the parish. The property at STARGROVE, designated a manor in the 16th century, was probably represented by the land held by John Stargrove in 1428.
After the 2nd battle of Newbury in 1644, Oliver Cromwell stopped at Stargrove and was entertained by the then owner, John Goddard. In 1667, after the accession of Charles 11, the estate was restored to the Bishopric of Winchester, and the demesne and land was leased to Mr Goddard. It was held in the Goddard family until 1821 when it was acquired by the Earl of Carnarvon.
On Taylor's map of 1759 the house is indicated as a substantial manor, accessed from the west.In the early 1840s the house was destroyed by fire, and a new manor house was constructed sometime after 1848, and bought by a Captain Ramsay. In 1879, the house and 850 acres was sold to Co. (Sir) Frederick Walter Carden, who made further additions to the new mansion, creating the form of todays park, including the lake.
During the 1970s, the house was purchased by Mick Jagger, lead singer of the Rolling Stones pop group, and was the base for a mobile studio. A number of other artists and groups recorded at Stargrove including ‘The Who', ‘Status Quo' and Bob Marley. In 1975 the estate was used for filming scenes in a BBC ‘Doctor Who' series. In 1998, the estate was sold to the singer Rod Stewart. In 2005 Stargrove mansion was the winner of the Basingstoke & Deane Conservation Award for large scale repairs and restoration to a very high standard.
Detailed history contributed by Hampshire Gardens Trust 13/04/2015
- Victorian (1837-1901)
Hampshire Gardens Trust