North Sydmonton house is a Grade II Victorian house located within the parish of East Woodhay overlooking a small park indicated in the Tithe map. It has suffered significant reduction during the 1950s as separate plots were sold off.
A collection of non-specific buildings was recorded on the maps of the late 18th century. By the middle of the 19th century, the house was significantly improved, and on the 1873 OS it is a substantial three-storey brick mansion surrounded by a small park enclosing an orchard, treed paddock. Grade II house on a south-facing terrace with a long walk leading across grass plats to the park and the pool beyond. The house is again the subject of considerable renovation by the present owners Mr & Mrs Arber. Today the parkland and gardens around the house are significantly reduced.
The eastern end of the estate that was originally a large paddock, today consists of mixed agricultural use - Poultry Farm and commercial nursery. An application by Lady Carden to demolish the large poultry sheds in order to build a house and garage on the site has been refused, however permission has been granted to the owner of North Sydmonton Farm to a change of use from agricultural buildings to residential use.
Mature trees - remnants of larger scale plantings - survive to screen the gardens from the sheds of the poultry farm, and are scattered throughout the parkland, and reinforced with some new planting. A small pond once in the wider park, lies beyond the front lawn and now taken into the garden. These ponds along with field and copse boundaries are important historical markers in a landscape that is now subject to much development pressure.
The park retains the elements of a 19th century landscape - open parkland, lake and pond walled kitchen gardens and conservatory, small wilderness, and mature trees, with the main phase of development laid out between 1820 and 1900 where much of this landscape survives to reflect the original design.
Landscape Planning Status:
Malverleys estate lies within the East End Conservation Area
An Area of Archaeological Potential (AAP) exists within the settlement of East End.
Ancient Woodland Inventory Map 17: Garvards Copse and Penton's Copse both described as Ancient Semi-natural Woodland
Research: EM Consultants for Basingstoke & Deane: November 2009
Detailed description contributed by Hampshire Gardens Trust 13/04/2015
- East Woodhay
At the time of the Domesday Survey the hundred of Kingsclere comprised Ewhurst, Wolverton, Ecchinswell, and Sydmonton. The place-name is probably derived from the personal name Sydeman and OE tun (farm) A man of this name signed a charter relating to Ecchinswell in 931. By the late 11th century Sydmonton formed part of the original endowment of the Abbey of Romsey. In the 1530s the manor was given to the Kingsmill family by Henry VIII.
North Sydmonton House and farm are located to the west of the hamlet of North Sydmonton and less than 6 miles south east of Newbury. Sydmonton estate was owned by the Kingsmill family until the Admiral Sir Robert Kingsmill died in 1805 without issue leaving the property to the Reverend John Stephens, and who took the name of Kingsmill. During the 19th century the house and farm were leased to Thomas Paxton and later by William Hill Coulson and his wife. By 1911, during a period when Sydmonton Court was in the hands of trustees, Andrew de Portal Kingsmill was in residence at North Sydmonton Court. When the property was offered for sale in 1957 on his death, the extent of the parkland was 8¼ acres, including the House and gardens and a small park, The farm buildings located to the west of the park, and a paddock acres to the east.
A collection of non-specific buildings was recorded on the maps of the late 18th century. By the middle of the 19th century, the house was significantly improved, and on the 1873 OS It is a substantial three-storey brick mansion surrounded by a small park enclosing an orchard, treed paddock. Grade 11 house on a south facing terrace with a long walk leading across grass plats to the park and the pool beyond. The house is again the subject of considerable renovation by the present owners Mr & Mrs Arber. Today the parkland and gardens around the house are significantly reduced.
Detailed history contributed by Hampshire Gardens Trust 13/04/2015
- Victorian (1837-1901)