The estate of Malverleys lies within the north eastern corner of the East End hamlet, and its mature trees, brick and stone walls and ancient woodland copses provide a setting to this large Victorian Mansion. It constitutes an important element in the historic development of the hamlet of East End within the Conservation Area. The AAP includes the main core of the 19th century occupation of the settlement, shown on the Tithe map. Also included is an area to the south of The Smithy and Malverley Cottage, which has possible earthworks that may be a development of the settlement, shown on the Tithe map, much of which has now disappeared.
From the early 1820s, the estate was owned by the Forster family and it is therefore likely that the building of Malverleys and its later improvements were carried out by one of these Forsters.
The present mansion, built around 1870, is a Victorian building of two-storeys and two wings constructed of pale brick with a slate roof in the Italian style. The house is located east of the Conservation Area, at the western edge of the park. It lies on a narrow terrace surrounded by an almost circular embankment, enclosing a lawn (clearly visible in the aerial photgraphs). It faces south east, overlooking the parkland of about 60 acres. To the south is a small gate lodge of matching pale brick.
The parkland has 2 large copses of woodland trees - Garvards Copse and Penton's Copse, and the Fullers Lane boundary is marked with a band of mature trees, ending in a dell with a small pond (described as a fernery in the earlier part of the 20th century).
The high wall of the kitchen garden defines the western boundary of the estate - an important feature of the East End hamlet streetscape. A large conservatory overlooks the kitchen garden at its northern end. Lodges are located on Fullers Lane, and on the lane leading to Hollington, connected at each end by sweeping drives to the main entrance front. Footpaths connect the house and the walled garden and garden features. An oval ‘knot' garden lies just Inside the northern entrance, at the north west front of the house enclosed by the mature trees bounding Fuller's Lane. This garden appears on the 1874 map but not on subsequent ones, although it is visible on recent aerial photographs. (see Appendix 2). A circular path links the walled gardens, parkland and the large lake and smaller pond at the western end of Horse Close Coppice. (S of 430 on Tithe Map & 569 on the 1872 map) A drive or path leads from the main drive, through the E Park Copse and Horse Close Coppice.
Mature trees - remnants of larger scale plantings - are scattered throughout the parkland, and reinforced with some new planting. A small pond lies between the lodge and the old house, roughly where one was shown in the 1837 Tithe Map, plus an additional small pond north of the lake in the HC coppice. These ponds along with field and copse boundaries are important historical markers in a landscape relatively unchanged since the late 18th century.
Historic features known to be present:
OVAL ‘KNOT ‘ GARDEN
Features recorded in archive (unconfirmed)
East Woodhay Cricket Club has its headquarters at Malverleys
The park retains the elements of a 19th century landscape - open parkland, lake and pond walled kitchen gardens and conservatory, small wilderness, and mature trees, with the main phase of development laid out between 1820 and 1900 where much of this landscape survives to reflect the original design.
Landscape Planning Status:
Malverleys estate lies within the East End Conservation Area
An Area of Archaeological Potential (AAP) exists within the settlement of East End.
TPO etc Ancient Woodland Inventory Map 17: Garvards Copse and Penton's Copse both described as Ancient Semi-natural Woodland
Research: EM Consultants for Basingstoke & Deane:September 2009
Detailed description contributed by Hampshire Gardens Trust 13/04/2015
- East Woodhay
First documented in the Domesday Book AD 1086 as WINDENAIE the Manor of East Woodhay was the property of the See of Winchester confirmed by Edward I in 1284. East Woodhay, included in the sale of the bishop's lands in 1648, was purchased by James Storey. At the accession of Charles II the manor was restored to the bishopric until 1703 when it is recorded that the demesne land was leased to a Mr. Goddard, owner of Stargrove, and continued in the Goddard family until at least 1814. From then until 1821 the manor was held by the Earl of Carnarvon.
From the early 1820s, the estate was owned by the Forster family and it is therefore likely that the building of Malverleys and its later improvements were carried out by one of these Forsters. After the sale in 1912, Malverleys became the residence of Mr Walter George Guillemard and his family - assistant Master at Harrow School and by 1927 Mr Horace Bickerton Turner and his wife were residents of a much reduced estate (aprox 65 acres). In 1985, Malverleys with its gardens and parkland was separated from the older Malverleys house by the village green.
Detailed history contributed by Hampshire Gardens Trust 13/04/2015
- Victorian (1837-1901)
Hampshire Gardens Trust