Sizergh Castle, Rock Garden is located in a dell and fed by streams, pools and waterfalls from the lake above. It was created in the early-20th century and originally planted with alpines. It was an open landscape but encroaching conifers have enclosed the garden. The National Trust restored the garden in the late-20th century and replaced the alpines with ferns. The plants are part of the National Collection of Hardy Ferns.
Thomas Richard Hayes and Son, an Ambleside firm, were commissioned to design and build the garden in 1926. The garden was restored by the National Trust in the late-20th century.
- Plant Type
- Fernery (Garden)
- Access & Directions
Access Contact Detailswww.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-vh/w-visits/w-findaplace/w-sizerghcastlegarden.htm
- Early 20th Century (1901-1932)