Sibdon Castle 6662

Sibdon Carwood, Shropshire, England

Brief Description

Adjoining Sibdon Castle there are castellated kitchen gardens, with a stone building of the early 18th century. While there are no indications of a park at Sibdon, there was an avenue of trees running from the west side of Sibdon pool, which was apparently created or enlarged in the mid-18th century.

History

Sibdon Castle is a mid 17th-century building with later remodelings, probably built on an earlier castle mentioned in Leland. The kitchen gardens and an adjoining stone building are of the early 18th century. An inventory of garden implements from 1773 also survives.It seems probable that in 1744, Sibdon's new owner, Edward Fleming, carried out some landscaping north-east of the Castle. He created an avenue and a pool at this time.

Features
  • Manor House (featured building)
  • Description: Sibdon Castle is seven bays wide, two storeys high, and with castellated accents on the sides and in the middle. It was first built in the early or mid-17th century, was altered in the 18th century, and was gothicized around 1800.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Avenue
  • Description: A tree-lined avenue ran from the west side of Sibdon Pool to the castle.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Pool
  • Description: Sibdon Pool was created to the north-east of the castle.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Sibdon Carwood
History

Period

  • 18th Century
References

References