Sedgley Park 6125

Bury, Greater Manchester, Greater Manchester, England

Brief Description

Sedgley Park had a hall and park bounded by Scholes Lane to the north, Bury Old Road to the east, Bury New Road to the west and open fields to the south. A Roman road cuts across the south-west corner of the site. There was an entrance lodge at the east of the site, and a long entrance drive follows contours and curves to the south of the largest of two lakes then north to the house in a roughly central position. There were further entrances from the north and west. A wooded belt lay to the north-east of the house with walks. There was also an icehouse to the northern edge of the site. To the south-west of the house is the site of the possible productive gardens. This is now the site of Sedgley Park College and high density housing development, but there is possible partial survival.

History

The hall survived by 1894 but the park has been developed for detached houses set in their own grounds.

References

References

Contributors

  • Lancashire Gardens Trust

  • Greater Manchester Archaeological Unit