Sandringham Country Park 2907

King's Lynn, England, Norfolk, King's Lynn and West Norfolk

Brief Description

The parkland of 142 hectares was designated as a Country Park in 1968 and subsequently enlarged to 243 hectares (125 hectares registered). The park features two waymarked nature trails and woodland paths.

History

A landscape park was created some time before 1794. By 1826 the landscape to the south of the house extended into open parkland and to the north into dense woodland cut through with rides. In 1862 Sandringham was bought by Edward, Prince of Wales. He extended the park slightly on all sides and began the development of the gardens. In 1968 much of the park was designated the Sandringham Country Park.

Visitor Facilities

The country park is open daily throughout the year and has free access and parking. More information

Terrain

The grounds both in the gardens and the park are gently undulating with a fall from north-west to south-east and to the south.
Features
  • House (featured building)
  • Description: The house is in Jacobean style, and replaced an earlier building. It was enlarged in 1881-4 and enlarged and restored after a fire in 1891.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Tree Feature
  • Description: The park is planted mainly with Corsican and Scots pine mixed with oak, sweet chestnut and birch.
  • Walk
  • Description: There are two nature trails.
  • Tree Feature
  • Description: Wild wood.
  • Walk
  • Description: Sculpture trail.
  • Boundary Wall
  • Description: A high carstone wall surrounds the park.
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

The country park is open daily throughout the year and has free access and parking.

Directions

http://www.sandringham-estate.co.uk/Location.asp?S=12&V=1&P=43
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Sandringham
History

Period

  • 18th Century
Contact

Telephone

01793 445050

Official Website

Click Here

Other websites

Owners

  • Her Majesty The Queen

References

References