Dukinfield Park 6380

Tameside, Greater Manchester, Greater Manchester, England

Brief Description

Dukinfield Park is a public park to the east of King Street bounded by Cecil Street to the north, Pickford Lane to the south and Grenville Street to the east. There were open fields in 1848 with a smithy, pond and police station along Pickford Lane. The site slopes steeply with a difference of 24 metres from east to west. The land was laid out with terraces and balustrades. The fountain was presented by Mrs Astley-Cheetham near the main entrance on King Street. A mast, full ship-rigged, was presented by Sir Arthur and Lady Nicholson.

History

The first sod of the new park was cut by Mrs Astley-Cheetham in 1899. The park was opened in 1902. The park was laid out by W Underwood and Brother of Dukinfield, under the direction of the Borough Surveyor, Mr S Hague, and cost £15,000.

Visitor Facilities

This is a municipal site for general public use. Please see: http://www.tameside.gov.uk/parks
Features
  • Terrace
  • Description: The site slopes steeply with a difference of 24 metres from east to west. The land was laid out with terraces and balustrades.
  • Fountain
  • Description: The fountain was presented by Mrs Astley-Cheetham near the main entrance on King Street.
  • Garden Feature
  • Description: A mast, full ship-rigged, was presented by Sir Arthur and Lady Nicholson.
Bowling Green, Balustrade
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

This is a municipal site for general public use. Please see: http://www.tameside.gov.uk/parks
Authorities

Electoral Ward

  • Dukinfield
History

Period

  • Early 20th Century
References

References

Contributors

  • Cheshire Gardens Trust

  • Greater Manchester Archaeological Unit