Reed Hall (also known as Streatham Hall)4373

Exeter, England, Devon, Exeter

Brief Description

The impressive Italianate terrace gardens lead to the extensive collection of specimen trees planted by the Robert Veitch nurseries. Surviving garden features also include the pinetum and ornamental pond. The Palm House was removed to the Imperial Hotel in Exeter. The grounds are open to the public.

History

Reed Hall, formerly known as Streatham Hall, is an Italianate mansion which was built for Richard Thornton West in 1867 and is now incorporated within the site of the University of Exeter.

Visitor Facilities

The site is part of the University of Exeter, and is also a wedding and conference venue.
Features
  • Tree Feature
  • Description: Pinetum
  • Mansion (featured building)
  • Description: The Italianate mansion is now incorporated within the site of the University of Exeter.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Garden Terrace, Ornamental Pond
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

The site is part of the University of Exeter, and is also a wedding and conference venue.

Directions

http://www.exeter.ac.uk/reedhall/location.php
History

Detailed History

Reed Hall, formerly known as Streatham Hall, is an Italianate mansion which was built for Richard Thornton West in 1867. It is now incorporated within the site of the University of Exeter.

The impressive Italianate terrace gardens lead to the extensive collection of specimen trees planted by the Robert Veitch nurseries that flourished in Exeter at that time. The sale particulars of 1903 provide extensive details of the planting of the pleasure grounds. It claimed that ‘the mansion is surrounded by most beautiful pleasure grounds arranged in terraces and including an exquisite Italian garden, with lake and superb conservatory and palm house. There are extensive fruit and vegetable gardens and complete range of glass . . . The Builder and Gardener have manifestly worked hand-in-hand and, under the mellowing effects of time, nature has perfected in her generous way the original design.'

Surviving garden features also include the pinetum and ornamental pond. The Palm House was removed to the Imperial Hotel in Exeter. The grounds are open to the public.

Contact

Telephone

01793 445050

Official Website

Other websites

Owners

  • The University of Exeter

    The Queen?s Drive, Exeter, Devon, EX4 4QJ
References

References