Bishop's Palace, Exeter 4327

Exeter, Exeter, Devon, England

Brief Description

The Palace dates from 1224, and the grounds may be the oldest in Devon. The gardens have of course been re-structured over the years. The grounds contain some fine trees and a wild orchard garden. The modern sculptures give added interest.

History

The Palace dates from 1224.

Features
  • Orchard
  • Description: Wild orchard garden.
  • Palace (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Sculpture
  • Description: The modern sculptures give added interest.
History

Detailed History

The Bishop's Palace, approached through the gatehouse with a 14th-century arch, stands in generous grounds stretching from the south-east corner of the cathedral to the city walls. The Palace dates from 1224 and although the early history of the garden is not recorded, it is perhaps the oldest in Devon.

The medieval buildings were extensive but were truncated and remodelled from the 16th to 18th centuries. They were given their present exterior largely by Ewan Christian in 1846-48 for Bishop Phillpotts. Butterfield carried out some further alterations in the 1870s.

Celia Fiennes noted in 1695 that ‘There is a long walk as well as broad, enclosed with rows of lofty trees which make it shady and pleasant, which went along a ditch and bank on which the town wall stands.' . The 18th century maps of the city show a garden layout which is largely retained. In 1805 Mrs Price of Chester thought the grounds were beautiful and approved of the paths, which were not paved but made of ‘ green sod.' Extending to around 3 acres, the grounds contain some fine trees and a wild orchard garden. The modern sculptures give added interest.

Associated People

Just one person associated to Bishop's Palace, Exeter

Contact

Telephone

01793 445050

Official Website

Click Here
References

References