During restoration of the church following the 1978 fire, the churchyard was neglected but in 1984 restoration of the garden began. A seasonal garden has been created with an emphasis on beauty of foliage and harmony of colour, choosing plants with Biblical associations.
There has been a church in Barnes since medieval times, a small flint chapel pre-dating the present church of St Mary built in the 12th century. The church was enlarged over the years but in 1978 it was gutted by fire and was rebuilt in 1982-84 although its 15th-century tower survived. Until the mid-19th century the churchyard was probably the only consecrated ground in the parish; burials ceased when the churchyard was full and land for a cemetery was enclosed on Barnes Common. The church lych-gate was built for the coronation of Edward VII in 1903. The war memorial was unveiled by Field Marshall Earl Haig in 1921.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted. Church open Mon-Sat 10.30am-12.30pm.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted. Church open Mon-Sat 10.30am-12.30pm.
DirectionsTube: Hammersmith (District, Hammersmith & City, Piccadilly) then bus. Rail: Barnes/Barnes Bridge then bus. Bus: 209
Official WebsiteClick Here
London Parks and Gardens Trust