People's Park, Tiverton 4371

Tiverton, England, Devon, Mid Devon

Brief Description

People's Park at Tiverton was formed in 1887 to commemorate the Golden Jubilee of Queen Victoria's accession in 1837. The park was officially opened on 5 July 1888, an inscription at the main gates recording the fact that funds for the completion of the park were raised by over 1,500 friends of the movement. A notable feature within the park is an ornamental drinking fountain presented by the Reverend George Hadow MA, Rector of Tidcombe, also dated 5 July 1888.

Visitor Facilities

This is a municipal park for general public use.
Features
  • Fountain
  • Description: A notable feature within the park is an ornamental drinking fountain presented by the Reverend George Hadow, MA, Rector of' Tidcombe, also dated 5 July 1888.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

This is a municipal park for general public use.
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Tiverton
History

Detailed History

People's Park at Tiverton was formed in 1887 to commemorate the Golden Jubilee of Queen Victoria's accession in 1837. Benefactor John Coles, from nearby Washfield, had made his fortune in London, and he proposed a gift of £1000 to purchase a suitable site. This triggered much local acrimony in public meetings.

Sir John Amory opposed the scheme, concerned at the estimated £200 per annum maintenance costs, but the inhabitants of the town at large were strongly in favour. The Misses Carew of Haccombe owned a meadow, already termed The Park, that seemed an ideal location. It was beautifully sited on elevated ground and surrounded by charming scenery. At first, however, they were reluctant to sell.

Eventually all difficulties were overcome, and the People's Park was officially opened on 5 July 1888, an inscription at the main gates recording the fact that funds for the completion of the park were raised by over 1,500 friends of the movement. A notable feature within the park is an ornamental drinking fountain presented by the Reverend George Hadow, MA, Rector of' Tidcombe, also dated 5 July 1888. Lost, however, are the elegant bandstand with wrought-iron balustrade and the Crimean War gun, which was sent for scrap in World War 2.

References

References