Search for the name, locality, period or a feature of a locality. You'll then be taken to a map showing results.

Penenden Heath Recreation Ground 2591

Introduction

Penenden Heath is a recreation ground which features a garden of rhododendrons and azaleas. Facilities include a children's playground, tennis courts, a bowling green, a cricket pitch, football pitches and a putting green.

Tennis courts, bowling and putting greens are fenced in a formal garden adjacent to the heath where cricket and football are played. In the garden, rhododendrons, azaleas and heathers thrive on the acid heathland sand. There is a separate children's playground.
Features
Bowling Green
Visitor Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

This is a municipal site for general public use.
History

History

The recreation ground was presented to the people of Maidstone in 1882 by the Earl of Romney.

Detailed History

Penenden Heath was the ancient Saxon centre of legal administration and, as a ground of common access, was the site of musterings of Kentish radicals through the ages. It was enclosed and presented to Maidstone as a recreation ground by the Earl of Romney in 1882.
References

References

Contributors

  • Kent Gardens Trust