The Park, Peterborough 6539

Peterborough, England

Brief Description

Features of The Park include a garden divided into four quadrants, encircling a lawn, a pond, pavilions, an aviary and a toddlers play area.

History

The Park was created in the late-19th century.

Visitor Facilities

http://www.peterborough.gov.uk/page-11609

Detailed Description

The Park was located in the centre of the new housing and planned in the shape of a scallop shell. It was divided into four quadrants and at the centre was a circular lawn with a bandstand. The cross paths were planted on either side with conifers with shrubs beneath.

The perimeter planting has mixed conifers and deciduous trees sometimes beside a raised perimeter path. This path still exists today with its serpentine route. Along the south boundary is a row of glaucous cedars with annual bedding schemes either side of Princes Gate.

In the south-west corner of the Park is an oval sunken garden adjacent to a rose garden edged with lavender, possibly the site of an original pond for swans. A range of pavilions serves those playing tennis, bowls, golf and putting. The original timber framed aviary survives. A new toddlers playground with paddling pool has recently been provided.

Features
  • Lawn
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Pond
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Aviary
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Pavilion
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

http://www.peterborough.gov.uk/page-11609
History

Detailed History

In 1879 the Peterborough Land Company produced a new large residential layout for 80 hectares, over an area in the north of the city encompassing a new park of 8.8 hectares. This was possibly the first scheme of town planning in the city ‘for the residents of the new development who paid an annual fee to use it’.
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust