The Cemetery, Peterborough 6538

Peterborough, England

Brief Description

Features of The Peterborough Cemetery include paths, walks, lawns and a wide range of specimen trees.

History

Peterborough Cemetery was created in the mid-19th century.

Visitor Facilities

This site is a cemetery. Please visit the website for more information regarding opening times and visiting hours. http://www.peterborough.gov.uk/page-13065

Detailed Description

The cemetery was laid out on a series of rectangular spaces connected by a central broad road from the two lodges on the eastern boundary. This separated the consecrated from the non-Conformist portions, and either side of this road two chapels were built—a Church of England Mortuary Chapel and a Non-Conformist Mortuary Chapel. These were joined by an arch over the road which was surmounted by a spire. The burial areas are divided by walks planted with a wide range of trees—limes, yews, hollies, evergreen oaks, weeping ash, Monterey pine and sycamores. The gravestones are on raised plots along the western boundary. Sadly, the chapels were demolished in 1960.
Features
  • Chapel
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Lawn
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Path
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Walk
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

This site is a cemetery. Please visit the website for more information regarding opening times and visiting hours. http://www.peterborough.gov.uk/page-13065
History

Detailed History

Broad Road Cemetery is to the south of The Park, Peterborough. It was created as one of the 'new' cemeteries urgently required in the 1850s.

Period

  • Victorian (1837-1901)
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust