Search for the name, locality, period or a feature of a locality. You'll then be taken to a map showing results.

Pantasaph

Introduction

Pantasaph is a Roman Catholic complex of buildings, comprising the church of St David's and a Franciscan friary. On the hill behind the friary are landscaped Stations of the Cross laid out in the mid- to late-19th century. These consist of a zig-zag path up through the wooded hillside with 14 stations in alcoves. From the top of the hill is a view of the Irish Sea.

Contact
Features
  • Path
  • Description: A zig-zag path up through the wooded hillside.
  • Alcove
  • Description: 14 stations of the cross in alcoves.
Designations
  • Conservation Area
  • Reference: Pantasaph
  • CADW Register of Landscapes Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in Wales
  • Reference: PGW(C)40
  • Grade: II
History

History

In 1846 Viscount Fielding, later 8th Earl of Denbigh, built St David's church to commemorate his marriage. After his conversion to Catholicism the friary and associated buildings were added in 1858-65. The gardens were made in 1875-79.

Period

  • Victorian (1837-1901)
References

References

#}