Pamber Place is a Jacobean mansion with Edwardian modifications. There are small Arts & Crafts Gardens with a backdrop of park and woods. It is a family residence and venue for weddings and local functions.
Pamber Place was formerly Wakeford Farm and a 17th-century working farm. The house has L shaped chambers and a Hall dating from 1600. This property was bought by William Marquess of Winchester. The house dates from 1665, with later additions.
The house dates from 1665, with later additions. The brick garden wall forms part of a formal frontage to the property along with a gated entrance and a covered walkway to the main entrance to the house.The Jacobean manor house is set in 9 acres of formal gardens, paddocks and woodlands. The entrance is through a wisteria and clematis covered pergola leading from the front gates to the main door. Lawns lead directly from the house into the wooded grounds and well tended gardens. In the early 20th century Pamber Place was restored by an unknown Edwardian architect, and the gardens redesigned in the Arts & Crafts style.
Features include a rockery, sunken lawn and pergola walk.
A fine brick boundary wall with arched entrance fronts the property making a significant contribution to the setting of this listed building, and walled courtyards and high hedged areas provide discrete parking and access to service areas. The whole consists of a sympathetic collections of dwelling and outbuildings with barns and yards.
Historic Grade II house. Jacobean brick built house linked with the 1st Duke of Bolton & his son the celebrated defender of Basing House. In 1926 James Herbert Benyon was incorporated as the 1st Chancellor of the new Reading University. The Benyons are connected by marriage with the Fellowes, Wallop, and Herbert Families.
Landscape Planning Status:
TPO etc No
Research: EM Consultants for Basingstoke & Deane: November 2009
Detailed description contributed by Hampshire Gardens Trust 13/04/2015
The land which is now included in the parish of PAMBER was in early times within the ‘metes' of Pamber Forest, and though grants of assart and licences for inclosure were given to various families in the neighbourhood, there was, as far as can be ascertained, no court held for Pamber until the 17th century, and hence there was no manor. The landscape is largely ancient pre-enclosure, with small to medium-sized irregular field pattern.
Pamber Place was formerly Wakeford Farm and a 17th working farm. The house has L shaped chambers and a Hall dating from 1600. This property was bought by William Marquess of Winchester. He married Jane Savage, by whom he had one son Charles his heir who was created Duke of Bolton in 1689. His son John, the celebrated defender of Basing House inherited the estate. Lord St. John had the title of ‘Keeper of all woods and underwoods in Pamber Forest,' John Marquess of Winchester died 10 March 1675, and was succeeded by Lord Francis Paulet or Powlett. The succession followed the Paulett - Benyon line until 1912, and in 1926 James Herbert Benyon was incorporated as the 1st Chancellor of the new Reading University. The Benyons are connected by marriage with the Fellowes, Wallop, and Herbert Families.
Detailed history contributed by Hampshire Gardens Trust 13/04/2015