Okeover Hall 7035

Stoke-on-Trent, England, Staffordshire, East Staffordshire

Brief Description

The hall, stables and church face over the park. Formal gardens lie to the west. These were remodelled in 1950 by Brenda Colvin to the original 1740 design. Features include lead statues and vases on the terrace, as well as a tennis court in the formal garden. A rill runs from the hall to the mill pond then to the River Dove, forming small lakes in the woods beyond the formal gardens. Trees are distributed throughout the park land in copses, including thick boundary planting and individual specimens. Many are ancient oaks with sympathetic newer planting.

History

The 18th-century house is on the site of a Tudor moated house. The estate has been owned by the Okeover family since the 11th century. There may have been a medieval deer park.

Features
  • House (featured building)
  • Description: The 18th-century house is on the site of a Tudor moated house. Parts of the house were rebuilt in the 1950s.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Religious, Ritual And Funerary Features
  • Description: Church.
  • Temple
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Statue
  • Description: Lead statues
  • Pond
  • Description: Mill pond.
  • River
  • Description: River Dove.
Stable Block, Gate, Fence, Vase, Garden Terrace, Tennis Lawn, Kitchen Garden, Rill, Lake, Tree Clump, Specimen Tree, Tree Belt
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Okeover
Associated People

Just one person associated to Okeover Hall

Contact

Telephone

01793 445050

Official Website

Click Here

Owners

    References

    Contributors

    • Staffordshire Gardens and Parks Trust