Oaklands Park, Blakeney 6227

Gloucester, England, Gloucestershire, Forest of Dean

Brief Description

The estate at Oaklands Park is home to a Camphill Community. It comprises a 55 hectare farm, a productive walled vegetable garden, orchards and woodlands all worked by community members. There are terraced gardens around the house dating from the 18th century.

History

The original house was built before 1818 for Sir James Jelf. In the early 1840s Henry Crawshay built a new house, incorporating a previous one. He is also thought to have constructed a winter garden and stables.

Features
  • Garden Terrace
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Kitchen Garden
  • Description: Walled kitchen garden run on biodynamic principles.
  • Stable Block
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Gate Lodge
  • Description: There are two lodges, one dating from before 1818 and one from the 19th century.
  • Latest Date:
  • Gate Lodge
  • Description: There are two lodges, one dating from before 1818 and one from the 19th century.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Pond
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Awre
History

Detailed History

The original house was built before 1818 for Sir James Jelf a former Gloucester banker. Early in the 1840s he sold the house plus 100 acres (about 40 hectares) to Henry Crawshay. A few years after purchasing the estate Henry Crawshay built a large neo-classical villa (the present house) incorporating the original house. A winter garden and stable block were probably built during Crawshay's period of ownership. Crawshay’s widow sold to William Gwynne-Evans of Fordham (Essex) in 1899 and the property remained in this family until 1976 when it was sold to the present owners.

Period

  • 18th Century
Contact

Telephone

01793 445050

Official Website

Other websites

Owners

  • Camphill Village Trust

    The Old School House, Old Malton, YO17 7HD
References

References

Contributors

  • Gloucestershire Gardens & Landscape Trust