Northbrook House (also known as Sheep House Farm)5033

Winchester, Winchester, Hampshire, England

Brief Description

The house was built in 1805 on the site of a farm. Features include three and a quarter hectares of garden, kitchen garden, woodland and spinney with a further 28 hectares of parkland and pasture. The site has been a pre-preparatory school and was later used as a small market garden. Two sides of a walled garden remain and has an old, renovated chalk wall.

History

The house was built in 1805 on the site of an earlier building, Sheep House Farm.

Detailed Description

There are 3.25 hectares (8 acres) of garden, kitchen garden, lawns and woodland/spinney. In particular, the spinney trees protect the grounds from the south-west. Across the drive there is a large expanse of open lawn sloping down to a cherry tree lined avenue leading to the parkland, which is to the south and west. There are two paddocks and about 12 hectares (30 acres) are let for grazing.

An area of formal garden lies to the east of the house, sheltered on two sides by a high, old cob wall with coping tiles which was re-built. To the north there is an extensive vegetable garden, a further high brick wall and further to the east, an orchard. Beyond lies a field of about 16 hectares (40 acres) which was included in the sale in 1999.

Features
  • Kitchen Garden
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Wall
  • Description: An area of formal garden lies to the east of the house, sheltered on two sides by a high, old cob wall with coping tiles which was re-built.
  • Avenue
  • Description: Cherry tree lined avenue leading to the parkland.
  • House (featured building)
  • Description: Standing 200 yards back from the road and approached through an avenue of beech trees, the house was built in 1805 on the site of an earlier building, Sheep House Farm. The Grade II listed Georgian house had two single-storey wings added in Edwardian times. One wing housed the billiard room and one a drawing room.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Lawn, Orchard, Ornamental Pond, Fountain
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Micheldever
History

Detailed History

The name refers to the area which is ‘north of the river (Dever)', there also being a Southbrook. Standing 200 yards back from the road and approached through an avenue of beech trees, the house was built in 1805 on the site of an earlier building, Sheep House Farm. The Grade II listed Georgian house had two single-storey wings added in Edwardian times. One wing housed the billiard room and one a drawing room.

Between the two World Wars, the house was owned by Mr Phillipson and at its sale around 1930, the estate consisted of an entrance lodge, a detached cottage in the village and a chauffeur's flat. The grounds covered around 16.5 hectares (41 acres) and the ‘pleasure grounds' were well-timbered with old forest trees and conifers. There were also lawns, flower beds and herbaceous borders, a fruit and flower garden and a partly-walled kitchen garden.

During World War 2 and through to the 1950s, the house was run as a pre-preparatory school by Miss Butler. The next owner, Mr Gordon, returned it to a private house and the Gordons ran a small market garden selling strawberries, lettuce and flowers. From 1968 to the late 1990s it was owned and lived in by Nevil Wilson and his family. During this time, the substantial servants' wing at the back of the house was taken down, although it remains a seven-bedroom dwelling.

Contact

Telephone

01793 445050

Official Website

Click Here
References

Contributors

  • Hampshire Gardens Trust

  • Janet Hurrell

    1