Search for the name, locality, period or a feature of a locality. You'll then be taken to a map showing results.

New Walk, York


New Walk is a public promenade along the banks of the river Ouse in York. It is a tree-lined walk and runs about 1.2 kilometres in length.

Visitor Access, Directions & Contacts

Access contact details


City of York


New Walk was first laid out in the early 1730s to try and promote York as a leading social centre within England. It originally stretched from Skeldergate Bridge to the junction where the river Foss meets the river Ouse. The walk proved very popular and in 1738 it was extended. The original 'Blue Bridge' was created over the entrance to the river Foss in 1738 but has been replaced many times. The current bridge dates back to 1929.

The original walk had parallel rows of elm trees but these were later interspersed with other varieties. There were also hedges planted along the sides of the walk. During the 1980s the elms were removed completely following an outbreak of Dutch Elm Disease.

In 2001 the Millennim Bridge was completed. This has allowed members of the public to cross the river, outside of York city centre, for the first time on foot.

Features & Designations


  • Gate
  • Description: Iron gates near Blue Bridge which mark the second part of the walk.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Well House
  • Description: Pikeing Well.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Ornamental Bridge
  • Description: The current Blue Bridge was created in 1929. The bridge was originally created in 1738 and was made of wood. In 1767 this bridge was replaced with one of stone. When vessels were allowed up the river Foss in 1801 the bridge was replaced with an iron structure which could open.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Ornamental Bridge
  • Description: The Millennium Bridge.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Key Information






Part: standing remains



Open to the public