Mere House, Mereworth 2270

Maidstone, England, Kent, Tonbridge and Malling

Pgds 20090813 124948 House And Lake From Se 1

Brief Description

Mere House was originally a late-18th century informal park and lake associated with the rectory created in 1780. The site now includes a Victorian (1837-1901) garden. There is a further garden and many trees planted from 1958. Features include several specimen trees various walks and a nut platt. Much of the site remains unchanged to the north and west of the house.

History

The park and lake were created/enclosed in 1780.

Visitor Facilities

The site is open throughout the year by appointment, as well as several open days for the NGS and other charities.
Features
  • Rectory (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Lawn
  • Description: Extensive lawns.
  • Earthwork
  • Description: There is a large perimeter bund on the southern and western edges of the park. The bund measures 400 metres x 80 metres x 2.5 to 8 metres high. It was created to reduce road noise, and is now planted with trees. It is thought to be the largest private earthwork in Kent.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Specimen Tree, Walk, Lake
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

The site is open throughout the year by appointment, as well as several open days for the NGS and other charities.
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Mereworth
History

Period

  • 18th Century
  • Late 18th Century
References