The dedication plaque for this site is now placed on a plain stone structure, having been moved from the memorial shelter when the latter was dismantled due to disrepair.
The subject of providing a lasting war memorial was first raised in a parish council meeting in 1919. The old cricket field was chosen as the site, with the land being placed under a covenant to maintain it as a memorial in perpetuity. A war memorial shelter and a tennis pavilion were provided, but eventually fell into disrepair and were removed.
- Early 20th Century (1901-1932)