Lewes Priory and Lord's Place of St Pancras 5550

East Sussex, England, East Sussex, Lewes

Brief Description

The walled priory precinct enclosed about 30 acres. Features included a pigeon house, stew pond, 'convent' garden and a 'saffron' garden. After the Dissolution, the Prior's Lodging was re-built into a new house called Lord's Place. Features include a prospect mount and a sunken rectangle termed the 'dripping pan'.

History

Lewes Priory was begun in the late-11th century, with more building in the late-12th and early-13th centuries.

Visitor Facilities

A herb garden on the site is open to the public. There are also occasional open days or visits can be arranged.
Features
  • House (featured building)
  • Description: The house is now ruined.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Prospect Mound
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Planting
  • Description: Herb garden.
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

A herb garden on the site is open to the public. There are also occasional open days or visits can be arranged.
History

Detailed History

Lewes Priory, the first Clunaic house in England, was begun in the late-11th century, with more building in the late-12th and early-13th centuries. It was destroyed in 1537, and from the Prior's Lodging was created a new house called Lord's Place.

Lord's Place lasted until about 1670. Whilst it was owned by Richard Sackville, Lord Buckhurst in the late-16th century there were extensive garden works. These included the construction of a prospect mount (still extant). This is made of chalk and is about 13 metres high, with a path winding up to the top. Another feature from the late-16th century is now called the Dripping Pan, a sunken rectangle.

Period

  • 16th Century
References

References

Contributors

  • Sussex Gardens Trust