Laxey Glen 2030

Lonan, Isle of Man

Brief Description

Laxey Glen has glen gardens first planted in about 1800 by the Rev. William Fitzsimmons.

History

After Laxey station was built in the glen in the late 19th century, the gardens were transformed into public pleasure grounds by the Williamson family. The station became the junction with the Snaefel Mountain Railway, and in 1908 the glen was purchased by the Manx Electric Railway. This group inserted an extensive rustic dining pavilion and a bandstand and transformed the grounds again. Additions included clipped yew and holly in a formal plan and various sports facilities.

Visitor Facilities

The site is open to the public. http://www.gov.im/daff/Countryside/Country/Laxey.xml
Features

Plant Environment

  • Woodland Garden
  • Environment
  • Specimen Tree
  • Description: Pair of yew trees.
  • Specimen Tree
  • Description: Ilex altaclarensis
  • Specimen Tree
  • Description: Tulip tree
  • Specimen Tree
  • Description: Two Eucalyptus globulus
Croquet Lawn, Urn, Bandstand
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

The site is open to the public. http://www.gov.im/daff/Countryside/Country/Laxey.xml
References

References