Search for the name, locality, period or a feature of a locality. You'll then be taken to a map showing results.

Lathom House and Park


Lathom Park consists of a very large parkland. Features include two gatehouses and a drive.

Lathom Park consists of extensive parkland, which was one of the largest medieval deer parks in northwest England. At the entrance to the grounds there are two octagonal gatehouses. There is a wooded drive that weaves through the parkland.
Visitor Access, Directions & Contacts

Lathom House and Park dates to the 11th century. In the 15th century, the lordship passed through marriage from the Lathoms to the Stanley family. In the mid-17th century, the Stanley family enriched and enhanced Lathom Park. In 1714 the estate was transferred by the marriage of the ninth earl of Derby's daughter to Lord Ashburnum. Ashburnum subsequently sold the estate to Henry Furnesse. In 1724 Lathom Park became the property of Thomas Bootle of Melling. Bootle commissioned the fashionable Italian architect, Giacomo Leoni, to re-build Lathom House in the neo-classical style. Currently, only one wing of the house survives.

Features & Designations


  • Gatehouse
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Drive
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Manor House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Key Information




Food / Drink Production