The churchyard is surrounded by fine walls, railings and has ornate gates; it is laid out as a garden with lawns, seating, paths and some fine trees. A few historic tombs remain within the grass as well as gravestones against the boundary walls; among those buried here was William Curtis (d.1799) a well-known botanist. Other famous people associated with St Mary's include William Blake and J M W Turner.
A church was recorded here from at least the 12th century. The Manor of Battersea from the time of the Conquest had belonged to the Abbey of Westminster; the old manor house was east of the church and the main area of the village was to the south. St Mary's Church is in effect an 18th-century preaching box that was built in 1777 to replace an earlier building.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail/London Overground: Clapham Junction. Bus: 239
- Medieval (1066-1540)
Official WebsiteClick Here
London Parks and Gardens Trust